When you move into a new home, it is never easy to let go of some of your things, even if they are damaged, old or unnecessary. However, you should make a list of the things you want to keep ans see if you really need them, or you will end up carrying all the junk to your new home. Here are some tips that can help you decide what to keep and what to toss when you are moving and which are the most common things that people keep.
What to keep
- When it comes to keeping, organize your things and keep those that are in a good condition or that can be reused or refurbished. If you have several items that serve the same purpose, like many cookware sets, keep those that are new or in a better condition.
- Keep the pieces of furniture that will fit and match the new home and those that look very good. The furniture can be very versatile and it can be organized in many ways in the new house, so you might want to keep most of it.
- Keep the decorations that do not look kitsch and will not clutter the new home. Save your favorite paintings and photos that can decorate the hallway walls or the books you love to read that can go on a bookshelf in the living room.
What to toss
- When you start packing, think of all the things you haven’t used in the last few months, including clothing items, makeup products or perfumes. You have to toss everything that doesn’t fit in the new house, from pieces of furniture to carpets, otherwise the place will look cluttered. Also, throw away things that are useless and you haven’t found a purpose for in years because most likely you will not need them at the new home either.
- Throw away the mattresses because the ones that are old are filled with allergens and you will need some new ones that are cleaner and look better. Considering that you will need a proper sleeping environment, it is a great idea to replace the old and worn out mattress with a new one made of a soft and natural material that will promote a good night sleep. If you owned a classic spring mattress, you might want to try something new such as a latex mattress or a memory foam mattress. Read all about the best mattresses on the market on the bestmattress.guru website.
- Throw away the old rugs if they are dirty and torn because the rugs are very important when it comes to the pleasant aspect of a house. Chances are you will want new rugs that look more modern and will match the new interior of the new home.
- Toss all the small decorations, old greeting cards you have been keeping in a drawer, old technology items, damaged toys and all the contents of the junk drawer.